Treat your hair to it’s 5-a-day
If anyone has ever browsed the hair care department of Selfridges, you would have found it very difficult to miss the HUGE tubs of banana conditioner from the ‘Tina Cassaday of Beverly Hills’ line. The extra-deep conditioner claims to be formulated with 15% real banana pulp and a fruit complex from apples, sugar cane and citrus fruits. Sounds yummy! But unfortunately I could not afford the £55 luxury price tag, so I decided to research the brand & product to see if I could make my own version.
The women of Beverly Hills appear to be going crazy for Cassaday’s in salon ‘Hair Shakes’ treatment. Much like going to your favourite smoothie or juice bar, Tina will whip up a shake for your hair after analysing it’s condition and level of nourishment required. So if you can’t nip over to Beverly Hills, her most used recipe is :
- Half a banana
- Quarter pint of purified water
- Coconut creme conditioner
- Half a tub of plain yogurt
- Slice of cantaloupe
- Eighth of an avocado
- Aloe Vera juice
After a little trial and error, I have come up with my own favourite hair smoothie and here is a simple step by step guide :
What you will need
- Coconut Oil
- Natural Yogurt
- Organic Conditioner
- Cling Film
- Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute or until it has fully melted into a liquid.
- Mix 50ml of natural yogurt into the coco
- nut oil and whisk with a fork to form a paste.
- Mash 10 strawberries and one banana into the mixture. ( to make the banana easier to wash out, freeze and defrost before using)
- Finally add a squirt of your favourite fruity organic conditioner, mine is ‘Organic Surge’ shine booster http://www.organicsurge.com/product/shine-boost-conditioner
- When you are happy with the consistency of your smoothie, apply liberally to your hair.
- Wrap hair tightly in cling film and leave for 1-2 hours (any longer and it might start to go off!)
- Thoroughly wash out, use a comb to remove the banana pulp.
- Condition with a light, volumising conditioner and add a little coconut oil to the ends when you get out of the shower
- Voila!! Beautiful, healthy and nourished hair. Aim to do this fortnightly, if your hair is very damaged there are extra ingredients you can add:
Egg- Works as a protein treatment and adds shine.
Honey- Hydrating and lightens blonde hair.
Avocado- High levels of vitamin B and E to strengthen hair.